Friday, September 3, 2010

My Donation to My Stuff Bags

I usually like to kid around in my blogs and be a bit silly but today I want to tell you about something serious and something that has touched my heart.



Things have been crazy since I injured myself almost 2 years ago and can no longer work but I found my little niche in school spirit necklaces. I love making them because they are fun and I can set my own pace but mostly because it's such a kick to see the kid's faces when they first see them! It took awhile to adjust to my limitations but I've finally embraced what I can do instead of what I can't do and I've learned how I can improve my situation and maybe a little bit of someone else's too!



I decided that, although slow starting, I would donate $1 of each necklace I sold through my website to a worthy charity. I wanted to pick a charity that maybe not everyone already knew about and hoped that a few more people would learn about them through my talks about them on twitter and my blog.



Ok, I know I'm only reaching 4 people on my blog, gulp. But you've got to start somewhere. And, if you're reading this, do me a favor and hook me up with some more followers:) We all just want to be loved, right?



So the time has come where I've sold a few of these necklaces and I get to send http://www.mystuffbags.com/ a check for $75! I'm very excited!



We'll also be sending a few stuffed animals and a few books with the check.



Let me give you a bit of background on this great charity. And before I do, you should know that they were certified with only a small number of charities as being Best in America. That means that they keep their operation costs low so almost all of the donated money goes to its intended cause! Bravo to them!



My chosen charity reaches out to the children that maybe were awaken in the middle of the night by a police officer whose has the grim task of telling them that their parents have been arrested and they have to leave to go to the police station. That still sleepy child has to now walk out of their world, that they may never see again and leave their possessions behind. They have to process all of this possibly without loved ones to help them understand and to adjust to living wherever they are placed, including the possibility that it could be living with strangers. Try to imagine if you had to leave everything behind, how hard it would be. Now imagine that for a child, a little child. It's positively heartbreaking.


This is where www.mystuffbags.com steps in. They provide the child a bag that contains new items to cling to as they adjust to whatever is happening in their lives. Inside the bag they will always find a blanket, usually made by volunteers. They can expect a stuffed animal and a book to, hopefully, get lost in. Other things they might find will be a toothbrush, and toothpaste, and little toys. These are items to get them started but, more importantly, these are items they can call their own!



I'm proud to have been able to provide a small donation to this wonderful organization. I hope it helps to put a smile on the face of a displaced child.



Please join me in helping www.mystuffbags.com. You can send a monetary donation, make blankets by following the step by step directions (it's easier than you would think) or even by spreading the world that such an issue exists and that there are generous people trying to do something to soften it for these children.



Thanks for taking the time to read my blog today. I hope it gets you thinking about how blessed you may be and that you might have ways to contribute too. If you mention www.mystuffbags.com to one person today than you've helped get the word out!

Hugs,
Colleen

No comments: