Thursday, May 20, 2010

Computers will be the death of me!

I start my first blog entry telling the world that if something happens to me, I disappear or suddenly collapse, there's a reason and that reason is computers, or designing my website, more importantly.

It would have been so much easier if I just stuck to school sales and on-line stores but noooooooo, I had to have my own site. (http://www.wheezies.com/) I paid for my template, had a great gal fix up my logo (it used to be green) and thought I'd take some pictures and type in some descriptions and I'd be all set! Right? Should be easy enough!

Wrong, not easy. There is the whole html stuff to contend with. And shipping rates. Taxes. Settings, settings, and more settings! Then, just when I think I'm rounding the corner on my website I decide I should tackle starting up my blog. Easy enough until an "adsense" button pops up asking if I want to put advertisments on my website. They were clear enough, they said website but since I was working on my blog I assumed it was for my blog so, sure, I don't mind having advertisments on my blog....and I signed up. It wasn't a second after I clicked the final button that I realized that I had just agreed to have advertisments on my website! My baby! The website I've been slaving over to get up and running. What have I done??

No problem, I thought, I'll just cancel it before it even gets started. No harm, no foul. (what does that mean, anyway....will google it and get back to you) Well, you can't cancel it until they send you a registration number and then it can take 90 days to cancel. It only took me a couple of minutes to sign up but apparantly the cancellation process has more steps! 90 days....

So there. My first blog and I've already shared the hazards of working on a computer when the user is cleary not qualified. I hope my experience will keep someone from making the same mistake I did. If I can just keep one person, one, from the stress of possibly having a dating service ad on their website, well, then, my work will be done.

No comments: